At Red Brand, we offer the agriculture industry’s leading fencing products. It’s not only because of our superior American-made steel. It’s also because of the construction of the fence itself. Red Brand field fence is considered the most reliable confinement option for cattle, hogs and other large animals. Our strong, yet flexible fencing holds up to the pressure of corralling large herds. Another important feature is the special crimp that expands and contracts under extreme weather changes. The result is a reliable enclosure in even the most severe conditions.
Field fencing is not a one-size-fits-all product. That’s why Red Brand offers over 45 different types of field fence. Here are some of the basic factors that differentiate our field fence options.
Field Fence Knot Styles
Knotted fencing is the most reliable confinement for animals. While welded fences can be suitable for gardens and small animals, they simply aren’t tough enough for large animal corrals and containment. For that, you need a woven, or knotted, fence. Therefore, all of Red Brand’s large animal fencing is made using heavy-gauge wire and knots for strength and durability.
We produce three knot styles for field fencing, including:
- Monarch Knot – This knot style functions like a hinge. It gives a little under pressure, then springs back into shape. Our most popular fence style by far, Monarch Knot fence is easy to install because the hinge gives the mesh flexibility. The fence always retains its full height for continuing protection and good looks. Vertical wires are individually cut and wrapped for maximum strength and flexibility.
- Square Deal Knot – One-piece vertical stay wires are tied to line wires and crimped at the joint to prevent slippage, creating a firm hold. The knot hugs both vertical and horizontal wires tightly for a rigid but flexible mesh. As a result, this fence won’t sag or buckle and remains strong even under pressure from animals. And, the flexible design makes it especially effective on hilly terrain.
- Cross Lock Knot – The Cross Lock Knot firmly affixes the fence wires together, providing superior resistance to movement from animal penetration or from severe snowstorms.
All Red Brand fence is galvanized in Class 1 or Class 3 zinc coating. As a result, the wire offers lasting service, with Class 3 providing 2-1/2 times the longevity of Class 1. Both are suitable for most farm applications. Areas prone to rust due to weather or environmental factors may want to consider Class 3 for extra durability.
Other Features of Field Fencing
Once you’ve chosen the knot style and galvanization option that fits your need and budget, then it’s time to look closely at the other features of our fencing. Factors to consider include:
- Wire Gauge – Gauge is the thickness of the wire. The smaller the number, the heavier the wire. Our standard field fence is produced with 12.5 gauge wire.
- Pullout Spacing – Defines the spacing in inches between vertical stays. The closer the spacing, the more rigid the fence.
- Height – Various heights accommodate many animal types. Consider the needs of your most vulnerable animals to determine the field fence that will adequately contain and protect your livestock.
- Roll Strength and Durability – Low carbon steel and high tensile steel are both good options, depending on your needs and budget.
- Roll Length – Most Red Brand field fence is available in 330′ rolls, which is the most common length. 4 rolls of 330′ field fence will cover 1/4 mile of fence line, which is the same distance as one roll of barbed wire.
For more information about our field fence, visit RedBrand.com. Check out our Fence Pocket Guide for help with selecting the right fence product, or stop by your local Red Brand dealer for in-store assistance.
Don’t miss a thing. Simply fill out the Subscribe form here. We’ll notify you every time we add new material. See you soon!